strokesRPG: The War of the Burning Sky

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush

As the planning winds down with the secret meeting, the bounty hunters spring their ambush!

Distant muted thumps fill the air, like the sound of ripe fruit landing on the roof of a house.

(How about everyone rolling initiative)

(DM edit – updated the screenshot to show entire battle map)

Comments

Initiative (1d20 + 2): 11 + 2 = 13

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Initiative (1d20 + 6): 12 + 6 = 18)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Initiative 1d20=1…I don’t like how this is going :( )

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Initiative Roll: 1d20 + 7: 10 + 7 = 17)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Bounty Hunter Scout Init = 3
Bounty Hunter Thug Init = 14
Attack Dog = 16
Kathor Danava = 15
Torrent = 16)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Torrent says in a panicked voice, “The Ragesian’s are attacking the city.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(You hear the sound of a horse outside the pub, as well as armored footsteps moving into position)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Initiative (1d20 + 4): 4 + 4 = 8

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Jankain looks hopefully at Torrent “is there any way out? perhaps a passage that would take us to the rooftop?”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Top of Round 1 – Coster is first up for the killing, Grimsley is on deck.

Torrent looks doubtful, “There’s a sky bridge connecting the pub to the Finner residence next door – we just need to find a way to access it.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

The sounds of movement can be heard outside, the door to the alley lies to the east and the front door which is boarded up from the outside is to the south. The pub is dimly lit, the source is the lantern which sits on the table. The shadows of the pub begin to make you feel claustrophobic. The door to northeast has most of the pub’s tables and chairs stacked up in front of it. This door is unusable unless the mess is moved. There’s a few sections of the pub which haven’t been explored, you can only guess at its contents.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“Oh, me hopes those thudding sounds are not fresh melons removed from someones shoulders…”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(is there a bar for the door that can be dropped (or a lock) to buy more time?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(the front door, the door south, is boarded up from the outside, the ally door, the door to the east and the door you entered the pub from, is barred from the inside).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(So, the door directly north of the table is blocked by stacked chairs and tables? What about the door behind the bar – is it blocked?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(it’s not blocked, but no one has actually checked it yet)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(coster acts first in round 1, what is he doing?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Jankain begins to strum her lyre and sings a little ditty, “if you delay and let the women go first,
you will experience a burst
that gives you strength and conquers fear
like the courage of a good beer.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(lol, gypsy that bard suits you)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Argh. It keeps NOT posting my comments.)

If it looks like we are going to have to deal with the newcomers before we can escape, Coster will pick a likely entryway and hide nearby that entrance and attempt to backstab the first individual that comes into the pub. If someone frees up an exit that isn’t going to place us right in front of the intruders, Coster will assist if needed, or follow that character out, looking for threats.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster moves 5 ft. east to the ally door and places his back to wall trying to gain the element of surprise (stealth check = 13) ready to attack anyone coming though.

Grimsley is up for the Killing. Attack Dog is on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(What weapon is coster drawing?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster draws his dagger unless its reasonable to backstab with a rapier.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(You certainly can use a rapier or even a x-bow. Technically speaking, its not a back stab (I think that was 2nd edition) its a sneak attack, and you can attempt one any time you catch your target flat-footed, flank, succeed at a feint, etc. That’s why I rolled a stealth check for coster, if someone comes in through the door and doesn’t make their perception check (DC is coster’s stealth roll, then you went unnoticed and thus catch them flat-footed).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Grimsley readies his Crossbow then moves (towards what i presume are stairs up) to the west.
(i cannot make out the grid, i am wanting to move as close to the west end of the bar as possible.)

“we are not wise to linger here.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Digi check out the map and let me know if this is where you want to be at. The current move is at 25 ft., so you could move another 5 ft. to the west if you want. Also note, you can click on the map image and link to picasa, where the original image is hosted).

The attack dogs delay their actions.

Torrent begins a short prayer to bless her allies, “oh Gozreh, bless our steel so are weapons may spite any that may oppose you.” (cast bless: +1 morale bonus to saves vs fear and attack rolls.) Then she moves to the bar and grabs her trident.

Kathor – You hear a commanding voice from outside the pub, “Front door, move now!”

Thugs – you hear the sound of armored footsteps moving to position themselves at the front door.

Jankain is next up for the killing, havak is on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Jankain moves to the corner of the bar and crouches, concealing herself from the front door (move one sq diagonally to the nw). The strains of beautiful music are heard from her lyre. (bardic performance: Inspire Courage. +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects; and +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. Affects all allies that can hear music including self).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Thats a +2 to attack rolls now, both the attack effects from bless and inspire courage stack)

Havak is up, scouts are on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster says quietly “I think we can take the group, but it will delay us quite a bit. Perhaps it would be better to escape before we are stuck here.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(just to clarify, +2 to attack rolls, +1 to damage rolls, +1 to saves vs. fear and charm)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Nice rhyming gypsy! This is a side of you we haven’t seen and I like it!)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

((thanks chawk. bad verse won’t kill, but maybe a +1 will. ))

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Havak draws his longbow as he moves down around the table toward Grimsley.

“Let’s see if we can find the stairs that lead up to the sky bridge.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Scouts – take a 2x move action

Finn is next up for the killing. Coster is on deck at the top of round 2.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(i am good with that position. a grid of coordinates might help,)

Grimsley considers the words of Coster and quietly agrees “lets give them a touch of fight if they hunger for it.”

Then buoyed by the music a glint comes to his eye. His back straitens a bit… glancing towards Havak with a grin he growls in Orcish “to battle”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Hey digi, I’ve tried the grid of cords. before but Its not readable at this resolution with the default sizing of the program i’m using to make the maps).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

As Havak is keeping an eye on the East door, he glances back at Grimsley in accordance, “Aye elf, this night will not be complete without the spilling of blood…” in Orcish “their blood”.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“Someone with longer legs than myself might aught’n to be for check’n out the back rooms for any surprises.”

With that, he readies his shield and draws his scimitar and takes a double move action to be directly south of the Pub’s front door, and, if possible, braces his shield against the door. In the process, he says “Honor and courage will win the day!”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster is up, top of round 2, grimsley is on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

A gruff voice from the front door yells, “Drop your weapons, and come out quietly. We don’t wanna break your valuable little heads.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster asks quietly, “Am I to scout the upper floor of the pub? If so tell me and I’ll go. Perhaps someone should take my location.”

If I get a yes, I run to the stairs and ascend whilst carefully watching, there could be guys coming from the abandoned house.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster: A 2x move action will get you to the top of the stairs. A full round run will let you move x4, however the upper floors are completely dark and your low-light vision will be useless. You could activate a light source as a standard action and then make a single move, or you could take a 2x move to the base or somewhere on the stair case.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Finn responds quietly “If we saw the bridge, so did the bounty hunters and they probably have that covered. Check the back rooms first, maybe there’s a way to the sewers.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster: There’s also the lamp on the table already lit, but if you leave the room it will be in darkness until some else activates a light source. You could grab the lamp as a free action.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Torrent whispers, “I’ll take your place coster, but I want that mage closer to me.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(so I’m unclear what coster’s next move is?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster will grab the lantern and ascend the stairs to find out if we have foes up there, or to find the bridge if there aren’t.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Coster moves to the base of the stairs (50 ft.) and looks up to the top. There lurking in the darkness he see’s at least 4 half-orcs sneaking down. These scouts are dressed in studded leather, have saps in their hands, and a morning star along with a crossbow hanging at there belts.

(coster has 10 ft. left in his move action, let me know what you want to do)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

The first half-orc snarls in very rough common, “We’ve got you now, give up the spellcasters and we may let you live.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Grimsley is next up for the killing. Torrent is on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Grimsley will delay his action. (Digi let me know when you get back to the boards, Grimsley can act on whatever init count he dicides).

Torrent moves 20 ft. to ally door and readies an action to attack with her trident the first enemy she sees coming through.

Outside you hear the commanding voice again, “I want the door kicked in now!”

You then see and hear the front door buckle from an impact. Wood splinters and cracks, but the door for now holds fast. It looks like they have some sort of battering ram.

Jankain is up. Havak is on deck

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Scrambling over the bar, Jankain readies her rapier then opens the door behind the bar. She maintains her lyre song continuing to support her allies.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Jankain tries to open the door but finds that the door is either locked or stuck. It won’t budge.

Havak is next up for the killing. Bounty Hunter Scouts are on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Looks like Digi is in the middle of some renovation.)

(Does it seem to be helping the door hold with Finn bracing it?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(yeah, i’ve added a +2 to the doors break DC)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Once she realizes the door is locked, Jankain calls out quietly, “Torrent, does this door lead to the outside?”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Torrent quietly calls back, “I believe its the kitchen.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“what about that door over there?” Jankain nods towards the door on the other side of the bar. “does that go anywhere?”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Torrent replies, “Its the Larder!”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Grimsley seethes when he hears the call from the scouts. he casts his Summon Monster spell and summons a Riding Dog as far up the stairs as he can. (i believe i can get him right next to one of the scouts. if possible, the dog will attack)
As the spell finished he calls in orcish, “I think I found some of your kin… why not introduce yourselves.”
Grimsly will then move north next to Janakin.
(i do not have net till tomorrow pm… would you play my dice on the dog’s attack – if needed – for me)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Sorry I was away, had last minute impossible deliverables for the job.)

As soon as I see them, I back off. Did they see me?
Coster is going to alert the others that there is a surprise party upstairs, and that we better brace for combat. They look like they are out to subdue, but I’m not taking chances. Coster will move one square to the SE awaiting the guys. If the guys can see me over the stairwell, I back off one more square.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Havak curses as he backs up to the left of the bar. He readies an arrow for the first person to come through either door.
“Is this our plan then? To be surrounded and slaughtered before we can get paid?” Havak mutters over the sounds of splintering wood, “Torrent, surely you must know of a way out of here!”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

The celestial dog appears at the top of stairs and attacks the scout directly to the south.
Bite (10=6+4)

The scout dodges the attack and then swings his sap at the dog.
Sap (5=4+1)

The other scouts wait, looking for an opportunity to get past.

Torrent replies to havak’s concerns, “There’s only one way out that I can see and that’s by fighting.”

Finn is next up for the killing. Coster is on deck at the top of round 3.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“If they get through this door, we are done for.”

To Torrent he says “Now lass, if no one is trying to break down that one, be a luv and help me brace this one with the table.”

(What I had in mind was moving the table over to the door and flipping it up. My thought was to delay until Torrent’s turn and then work together to move it over and flip it up so that 2, maybe more, people could help brace the door. Could something like that be done? What could be done on one turn with both of us working together? Does it help to do that?)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(That could be done and I’ll adhoc rule that the table with two people bracing the door would give you a total of +5 to the doors break dc. Let me know if you delay)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(I will delay and do it).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Top of Round 3. Coster is up. Torrent/Finn is on deck.

The scouts upstairs call down, “You can’t hide so you might as well lay down your arms. We’ll even make a deal with you – give up the spellcasters and the rest of you can go on your merry way.”

Just after they say this the building shakes and a deafening boom can be heard overhead. A ragesian bomb has hit the pub. Ceiling boards crack and buckle, and the flaming oil spraying around upstairs leaks down into the room like a fiery rain. Overhead, a handful of screams sound out as the remaining scouts not yet seen are caught in the flaming burst and slain. A bronze bust of Emperor Coaltongue falls of the wall from behind the bar and lands with a thud.

(I’ll need a reflex save (DC 10) at the beginning of each of your turn to avoid taking 1 point of fire damage from spraying oil. Additionally, squares marked with the fire icon, are filled with flaming shattered debris from the ceiling, which counts as difficult terrain (2x movement) and will require an acrobatics check to move through or you will take 1d6 fire damage).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Oh strokes, you are evil! :) Course, that’s makes it all the more interesting. )

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(lol, You don’t want to easy right. :P)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(That’s right!)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

You hear debris rolling of the rooftop and then the screams of men as they are crushed.

Coster is next up for the killing. Torrent and Finn are on deck.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Finn asks Torrent “Do ya know what might’n be behind the door under the stairs?”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Torrent shrugs, “I’m assuming a closet of sorts”. Then she adds with a sense of urgency, “We had better do something fast, we are not going to be able to keep em’ out forever, and I don’t think they are going to lay down anytime soon. What do you say?”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“Aye, a change of plan seems to be in order. Let’s take the fight to the street before we are burned alive. Out the alley door, I say.”

He then looks around and says “Quinn! Let’s go before you get roasted!”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“Aye”, Havak agrees. “I would rather die fighting than die burning!”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“someone lead the way”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“You!” (indicates torrent) “can you see out that side door at all? Have you heard anyone out there since the bells rang? It is my bet that the bells were the signal for the Ragasians to begin – it being a sure thing that they would ring at midnight, and coordination of an attack always being tricky to begin with.”

“You! The Gnome… We can worry about names later. how many do you see, and do you hear anyone giving orders, or does the group up front seem to be all of them. IF they seem alone, leave the door and lets try for an open engagement in the alleyway or make a break for the councilman to get free of the city.”

Startled for the moment by the tone of command from his own lips, Grimsley looks almost as if hi might apologize but the moment passes quickly. he smiles in a fond memory and looks aside to Havak: (in orcish) “If you want to lead, take over. someone has to get us out of here. Burning is not a good death and i have an oath to keep.”

Grimsley’s contemplates his companions and the room. a strange smile crosses his face as if he was just let in on the punch line of a wry joke. “well, so much for the frying pan eh Templeton” he whispers into his cowl “looks like our lot is the fire. When we get out of this I will fish you out a chestnut or two”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Refex Save (1d20 + 6): 10 + 6 = 16)

Coster runs toward the door we entered through (avoiding fire locations), hoping there is some clearance to get out. If the door opens (or is open) he will carefully look out to try to find as escape route, or a better place to fight.

“I am a lousy front line combatant, but we have not much choice do we. The alleyway should at least limit how many can gang up on us, and get us out of this firepit.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Refex Save (1d20 + 6): 10 + 6 = 16)

Coster runs toward the door we entered through (avoiding fire locations), hoping there is some clearance to get out. If the door opens (or is open) he will carefully look out to try to find as escape route, or a better place to fight.

“I am a lousy front line combatant, but we have not much choice do we. The alleyway should at least limit how many can gang up on us, and get us out of this firepit.”

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

moving to the door is going to cost you 55 ft. of movement opening the door is a standard action, so you’ll have to get it next round unless another player gets it for you.

(Chawk, you have a delay action – if you let Torrent go first, she can open the door for you and then it looks like you could just step outside the door with a 2x move action. Let me know what you want to do.)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“Oh Mr. Wizard, the time for perceiv’n and stand’n around look’n pretty are over. Time to see the cut of your jib.”

Finn will delay and let Torrent open the door then run (3x movement) to step out the door and try to move one square south.

(Acrobatics check 1d20-4= -2.)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“I hope were ready for this,” Torrent says with concern. She then pulls a wand from her belt and places it in her shield hand. With one motion she kicks up the wooden bar locking the door and thrusts it open.

(I’m going to need a perception check from Finn)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

(Perception d20=8)

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

Now that the side alley door is open, Finn see’s that there is a very angry looking dog waiting to attack. It menacingly snarls and barks.

(Finn’s perception check was a free action. Go ahead with your turn as normal).

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
 

“Oh, that blasted dog! Watch out fer it Quinn!”

Finn will move into the alley and then one square S. of the door.

SoGP: 1-2 The Ambush
strokes strokes

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.