strokesRPG: The War of the Burning Sky

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier

After refusing the bearded devil, Kazyk's, offer, he summons his minions and attacks.

Top of round 4. The celestial eagles are next up in Initiative. Grimsley is on deck.

Comments

The eagle highlighted (i believe it is the one that had ‘smite evil’-ed on the bearded devil) will move south(5ft step) to flank and attack. (if this eagle has not the one that had ‘smite-evil’-ed, he will smite evil first)

Claw 1 (1d20 + 7): 1 + 7 = 8
Claw 2 (1d20 + 7): 8 + 7 = 15
Bite (1d20 + 7): 6 + 7 = 13
Dmg (1d4 + 3): 2 + 3 = 5
Dmg (1d4 + 3): 3 + 3 = 6
Dmg (1d4 + 3): 2 + 3 = 5

The other eagle will 5ft step west to flank the minion north of Finn and attack.

Claw 1 (1d20 + 7): 15 + 7 = 22
Claw 2 (1d20 + 7): 11 + 7 = 18
Bite (1d20 + 7): 3 + 7 = 10
Dmg (1d4 + 2): 2 + 2 = 4
Dmg (1d4 + 2): 2 + 2 = 4
Dmg (1d4 + 2): 1 + 2 = 3

Grimsley will delay till after the last player character in the round.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(Digi – The 1st eagle is further than 5 ft. so he’ll have to move 10 ft. to flank with havak, and thus only gets one attack. I’ll take the first attack shown for this.)

Kazyk’s armor proves to be to thick as the eagle’s claw glances off him harmlessly.

The second eagle’s claws strike deep into the lemure’s fatty flesh, hurting the devil greatly.

Lemures are next up in initiative

Lemure 3 attacks Torrent w/ 2 claws.
Concealment (d100): 8 success
Claw Attack 1 (d20 + 2): 18 + 2 = 20 hit
damage (d4): 2 slashing
Claw Attack 2 (d20 + 2): 5 + 2: 7 miss

Lemure 1 takes a 5ft step south to attack finn.
Concealment (d100): 34 fail

Lemure 5 attack Jankain.
Concealment (d100): 25 fail

Kazyk is next up in initiative
Kazyk says, “This isn’t over. You had better watch you backs,” and then in a fiery burst, winks out of existence (provokes AoO from the eagle and havak).

(Could someone NPC Havak, matter’s not who it is)

Havak is next up in Initiative. Sendal is on deck.
(after AoO’s are resolved)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(First, you got the concealment rolls backwards. It’s a 20% miss chance. Also, it’s rolled per attack.)

(I believe Havak charged Kazyk last round, so I think he should still have his +2 for charging. I don’t know his mods, otherwise.)

Attack, 1d20: 16
Damage, 1d12: 6

On his turn, Havak will take a 5’ step due west and attempt to finish off the wounded lemure.

Attack, 1d20: 15
Damage, 1d12: 4

Sendel will take a 5’ step back into the fog and one again attempt to stop Coster’s bleeding.

Heal, 1d20 + 8: 17 + 8 = 25 (so that should stop his bleeding)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(Would Finn get an AoO on the devil since he has a reach weapon?)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(blah, that’s what I get trying to game at 5:30 am and before I’ve had my joe. Thanks for pointing out the concealment rules, codes. Finn should get an AoO also.)

Correction – 1st attack on Torrent is a miss because of concealment (healed her 2 pnts.)
2nd attack is a miss anyways, so no concealment roll necessary.

Lemure 1 makes his concealment roll vs. Finn with a 34.
Claw attack (d20 + 2): 16 + 2 = 18 miss
Claw attack 2: 3 + 2 = 5 miss (no concealment roll necessary.)

Lemure 5 makes his concealment roll vs. Jankain with a 25.
Claw attack (d20 + 2): 4 + 2 = 6 miss
Claw attack 2: 16 + 2 = 18 Concealment (d100): 38 hit
damage (d4): 1 slashing

Havak has a + 10 right now with all his mods (that’s with the charge), so he’ll hit with a 26.
he has a + 5 to his damage roll, so that’s 11 points.

I now need AoO’s from the Eagle and Finn.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn says “Not so fast, ya bearded bafoon. I got a message I want ya to deliver!”

(Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 7(Smite, Inspire, Blade) = 19 + 14 = 33; Dmg: 1d6 + 3 + 10(Smite, Blade, Inspire) = 4 + 13 = 17)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn’s lance pierces the bearded devil’s chest deeply and when the lance is withdrawn, the devil slumps lifeless to the ground.

Havak is next up in Initiative. Sendal is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Havak’s axe bites into the lemure’s shoulder sending the devil back to the depths of hell.

Sendal is able to stop the infernal wound causing Coster to bleed out.

Jankain is next up in Initiative. Torrent is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(Digi – Its coming up on the bottom of round 4. Are those eagles still around or is the summoning over?)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(first eagle will wink out at end of round 4, 2nd at end of round 5)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

When the devil falls, Finn rejoices in the might of the Everlight and says “Sarenrae be praised for her justice in ridding this plane of this abomination! Evil will not prevail with her wings of mercy protecting her servants of good.”

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

With the devil gone, Jankain takes heart. She lunges forward with her rapier to attack the lemur to the north while maintaining her bardic performance.

Attack (1d20 + 5): 11 + 5 = 16 (3 melee, +2 bardic perform, +1 bless ??…so should be +6?)
Damage (1d6 + 2): 4 + 2 = 6 (
2 bardic performance)
Concealment (1d100): 43

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Jankain’s attack is true and with any other creature her attack would have caused a wicked wound, but with the lemure, it’s fatty flesh resists the full damage from the attack.

Torrent is next up in Initiative. Coster is on deck.

Torrent lunges with her trident at the lemure to her south.
Concealment (d100): 6

She then takes a 5 ft. step to the SW

Coster is next up in Initiative. Finn is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

“Considering we came across a fiend from the pits of hell, I’d say the battle has gone well… I’ll dispose of this fog such that we can clean up a little more easily.”

(( Concealment negates sneak attack, so I think Coster should delay until after my turn to get a shot in. That way I can dismiss the obscuring mist. ))

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Does sneak attack work ok lemurs? Coster will hold his attack until after the Sendal.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn takes a 5’ step to the SE to be just S of Havak. Then takes a swift action to heal himself (2d6: 4, 6 = 10) and says “Let’s be done with this dirty business and send these stinkers back home, Light will’n!”

(Ride check to use shield; 1d20 + 4: 14 + 4 = 18, Attack on lemure ; 1d20 + 7 + 2(Inspire) = 1d20 + 9: 16 + 9 = 25, Dmg: 1d6 + 3 + 2(Inspire) = 1d6 + 5: 1 + 5 = 6.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(Sneak attack will work with lemures just fine.)

Finn will take 2 damage from the infernal wound at the beginning of his turn. (The lemure has concealment and is more than 5 ft. away from Finn’s attack. This means he has a 50% miss chance. I’ll need a d100 roll Chawk, 1 – 50 means finn misses.)

Grimsley is next up in Initiative, with his delay. Eagle is on deck, top of round 5.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(1d100: 81. HIT!)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Grimsley calculates that his attack is unlikely to damage either of the foes, so he moves east and takes position adjacent to Finn and attempts healing to the infernal wound.

“this is not really my forte, but it is all i can think that may help.”

Healing attempt (1d20 – 1): 9 – 1 = 8

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

The eagle will charge the enemy near Jankian.

Charge attack (1d20 + 7): 13 + 7 = 20
Dmg (1d4 + 2): 3 + 2 = 5
Concealment check (1d100): 79

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn’s lance pierces the lemure in the back leaving in its wake a nasty wound.

Grimsley sees Finn’s wound from the bearded devil’s glaive is beginning to fester and puss, and its infernal nature is beyond Grim’s capabilities.

The eagle puts a claw into the lemure’s shoulder, tearing the fatty flesh. It then winks out of existence in the same flowery burst of fire from when it first appeared.

Lemures are next up in Initiative. Havak is on deck.

Lemure 3 attacks Torrent with its two claws.
Concealment (d100): 32 success
Claw (d20 + 2): 17 + 2 = 19 hit
Damage (d4): 3 slashing
Concealment (d100): 56 success
Claw (d20 + 2): 14 + 2 = 16 miss

Lemure 5 attacks Jankain with its 2 claws.
Concealment (d100): 37 success
Claw (d20 + 2): 9 + 2 = 11 miss
Concealment (d100:) 60 success
Claw (d20 + 2): 17 + 2 = 19 hit
Damage (d4): 1 slashing

Havak is next up in Initiative. Sendal is on deck.

(I’m having issues with my browser showing pics. I’m going to restart it and then try to post the current battle map.)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(( Thought Sendel went before the Lemures… oh well. ))

Havak delays his action until after Sendel dispels the mist, revealing the remaining lemures and also showing that the noncombatants are well.

Afterwards, Havak walks over to the Lemure in melee with Torrent and brings his axe down on it, looking to cleave it in half!

Attack (d20): 16
Damage (d12): 2

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(summoned monsters are supposed to last till the end of the summoners init to possibly provide targets and/or receive attacks of opprotunity. they go out on the 4th round not including the one they were summoned in. i gave you wrong info earlier. Just FYI)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Sendal dispels the mist, bringing the heroes adversaries into clear view.

Coster is next up in Initiative. Havak is on deck.

(Since Coster delayed first, he’ll go next. I’ll handle Havak’s actions after Coster.)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Coster will drop his crossbow and draw his rapier. If he can’t take a 5’ step to the NE and attack he will wait here until he has the opportunity to attack before he moves.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(Coster can draw his weapon as part of a move action. He can attack if he wants.)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Coster lunges in, in an attempt to distract and harm the lemure just on the other side of Jankain.

Attack (1d20 + 7): 14 + 7 = 21
Weapon Damage if hit (1d6 + 1): 2 + 1 = 3

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Coster’s aim is true and his rapier bites into the rolling wave of flesh. Coster’s attack seems to do no damage though.

Havak is next up in Initiative. Jankain is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Havak drops his axe down upon the lemure, cutting deeply into his shoulder (7 dmg total). The hellish being is hurt badly but still stands (0 HP, gains staggered condition).

Jankain is next up in Initiative. Torrent is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Seeing the lemure stagger, Jankain lunges forward with her rapier. She maintains her bardic performance.

Attack (1d20 + 6): 1 + 6 = 7
Damage (1d6 + 2): 4 + 2 = 6

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

The lemure deftly dodges jankain’s rapier lunge.

Torrent is next up in Initiative. Finn is on deck.

Torrent will take a 5 ft. step to the south to flank with both Havak and Finn, and try to finish off the lemure.
MW Trident (d20 + 5 + 2 (flank)): 18 + 7 = 25 hit
Damage (d8 + 4): 4 + 4 – 5 (DR) = 3 piercing

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn is next up in Initiative. Grimsley is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn will heal self with his last lay on hands (2d6: 3, 1 = 4) and then wheel Boris around and charge NW 2 squares and attack the gross fatty. (1d20 + 7 + 2(charge) + 2(Inspire) = 1d20 + 11: 9 + 11 = 20; dmg (1d6 + 3) X 2 = (1 + 3) x 2 = 8.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn takes 2 points damage from his infernal wound. His lance then pierces the lemure, however its DR absorbs most of the damage.

Grimsley is next up in Initiative. Lemure is on deck, top of Rnd 6

Grimsley attempts to heal Finn’s nasty wound.
Heal Check (d20 – 1): 17 – 1 = 16 fail

Lemure is next up in Initiative. Sendal is on deck.
The wounded Lemure claws at Jankain.
Claw (d20 + 2): 13 + 2 = 15 hit
Damage (d4): 1 slashing
Claw (d20 + 2): 2 + 2 = 4 miss

Sendal is next up in Initiative. Coster is on deck.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Sendel moves next to Finn and makes his own attempt to stop the bleeding.

Heal Chcek (1d20 + 8): 14 + 8 = 22

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

As Sendel works on Finn’s wounds, You do seem much better at this. I fell rather impotent at the moment but must save some of my magic lest we get into another frakus before we can properly rest.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Coster grits his teeth due to his last failure to damage the disgusting blob, and puts every bit of energy into this strike hoping to do enough damage to make a difference. (Did not add any other bonuses or penalties that aren’t on Coster’s sheet.)

Attack (1d20 + 7): 8 + 7 = 15
Damage (1d6 + 1): 2 + 1 = 3

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Sendal is able to staunch Finn’s infernal wound.

Coster’s aim is true as his lunge with his rapier hits it’s mark and the last lemure falls lifeless to the ground. (Added + 2 to damage from Jankain’s performance)

With the last lemure down, Torrent gathers everyone who’s wounded and after a moment of concentration, a burst of white light washes over the party warming their souls and healing their wounds.
Channel Energy (d6): 1 healing

Seeing the divine healing light had little effect, Torrent does it once again.
Channel Energy (d6): 3 healing

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

After the healing bursts, Grimsley turns to Torrent, “Hopefully, we are close to the river and to resting. My magics are in need of replenishing, and this air is burdensome to us all.”

He then looks at the bodies of the fallen and starting with the bearded devil searches for treasure. “What an infernal beast. It is a real bearded devil Temepelton. Do you believe it? Who would have ever guessed we would ever face one down and win way back in the forests of Latia?”

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Torrent looks to the rest the party as Grimsley speaks, trying to gain a sense of their weariness. She then places her hand on the wand of healing that is safely tucked into her belt at her waist and says, “This wand still has plenty of life, and I have not yet exhausted my divine powers. Know that it is difficult for me to protect our flank and heal at the same time.”

She then pulls out the wand and uses it’s healing powers on Finn and says, “You fight well warrior, may Gozreh see you safely to Lyceum.”
Cure Light Wounds (d8 + 1): 2 + 1 = 3 healing
Cure Light Wounds (d8 + 1): 6 + 1 = 7 healing
(That should have Finn at full HP)

“If memory serves me correct…” Torrent continues, "According to the map I studied of the fire forest before leaving Gate Pass, the river should be no more than a few miles ahead. There once was an elven village on the river bank there where the Elf Road crosses. Perhaps we can find a safe place to rest our weary souls there. We could be there before high noon if we are lucky enough not to encounter anymore of this forest’s fiery inhabitants. However, I think from what I have seen thus far this morning, we are not that lucky.

Grimsley sees that the glaive Kazyk used to inflict such horrible wounds on his comrades is in fact a finely crafted and magical weapon ( + 1). He also finds that the dismembered finger the devil wears on his neck is magical (Hand of the Mage, wonderous item). The last thing he finds on the infernal creature is 4 pots of Shatterspell.

Havak grumbles, “You are all fools for thinking you can make it through this hell alive. I think I’ll be taking my chances back at Gate Pass. Who’s with me?”

The half-orc then begins to unpack his mule, throwing items which don’t belong to him haphazardly on the ground.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(As a side note: the devils bodies have all disappeared (have been returned to their home plane because they have been summoned. All that remains is the gear which they have carried, which no more than what has been mentioned in the previous post.)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Sendel moves with uncommon haste to grab his backpack full of alchemical equipment before Havak breaks it. “Hear, now, do whatever you like, but my alembic deserves no such harsh treatment!”

With that, he collects his gear once again. “The inquisitors may merely see you as a rebel, but they see me as fodder for this ritual that they’re planning. I have no intention to be sacrificed in order to create a plague.”

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Digi takes the finger and examines it closely. He offers up the glaive to any who would use it then with no takers hangs it on the remaining mule. “this will fetch a price if nothing else.” (Do I need a knowledge check to ascertain the properties of the Hand of the Mage?

As Havak is unpacking, Grims speaks to him in orcish a final time. “Best of luck ugly… if we meet again, we should share an ale and our tales”

he then puts his gear on the remaining mule (assuming the load limit is not an issue.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

“Lets get this shatterspell divvied up and get on the road. I do fear as Torrent does that we shall likely have more excitement before we rest this day.”

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

(No knowledge check needed for the hand of the mage.)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Sendel will also put his backpack on the other mule and prepare to move on.

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Finn thanks Sendel for his expertize, but still appreciates Grimsley’s efforts.

After being fulling healed, he says “Indeed Torrent. Our twin gods will see us through.”

As Havak gets ready to leave he says “Sorry ya leaving us. We could surely use yer sure shot with the bow in the road up ahead. Hope ya find yer courage again and fight the Ragesians on ya own terms. Till we meet again.”

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Jankain thanks Torrent for her healing, once again. She then bids Havak farewell, “May I hear of your courage in a song. Safe journey.” She looks to the group, “shall we continue to the river?”

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
 

Havak says his last goodbyes and heads back out of the fire forest. Unbeknownst to the party, once Havak reaches the edge of the forest he uses his last feather token, bird to send a message to his Ragesian contact. The message states the location of the party, the defeat of Kazyk, and that he’s returning to Gate Pass to collect the remaining coin that is due to him.

(queuing scene 6)

IFFI: 1 - 5 Infernal Harrier
strokes strokes

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.